Tuesday, March 27, 2012

Sketti!

Spaghetti is a great and easy food to make quickly and it stores pretty well for about 7days in the fridge!  It's coming to that time at the end of the month where I start to run out of food since I only go shopping once a month to save money.  Oddly enough though this is when I'm at my creative peak for recipes, now you'd think that wouldn't make sense seeing as I have more to work with at the beginning of each shopping period but it actually works out great.  You see, the less I have the more creative and thoughtful I have to be about what I'm going to make.  Sometimes I have everything but the kitchen sink in my pot!

Coming up with new cooking ideas can be a challenge especially when working on a budget.  Unlike most people I can't go out every week for groceries because that would be way too costly so I shop once a month and get everything I need.  On occasion I'll go out to get a fresh veggie or two but generally I never need to.  Being on my last week of my food supply is actually how I came up with a grilled cheese tuna sandwich and I'm not really sure what compelled me to try this strange combination but it worked out really well.

So here's a recipe for a easy garden fresh spaghetti that I got from allrecipes.com  everything used are common ingredients that most if not all of you should have on hand!

Ingredients:

  • 1/2 cup sliced fresh mushrooms
  • 2 medium carrots, coarsely chopped
  • 2  chopped celery stalks 
  • 2 tablespoons chopped onion
  • 1 tablespoon chopped green pepper (bell pepper)
  • 1 tablespoon  chopped sweet red pepper (bell pepper)
  • 1 garlic clove, minced
  • 1-1/2 teaspoons vegetable oil
  • 1/4 (28 ounce) can crushed tomatoes
  • 1/4 (15 ounce) can tomato sauce
  • 1/8 (12 ounce) can tomato paste
  • 2 tablespoons and 1/2 teaspoon beef broth
  • 1/4 teaspoon dried basil
  • 1/4 teaspoon dried oregano
  • 1/4 teaspoon brown sugar
  • 1/8 teaspoon salt
  • 1/8 teaspoon pepper
  • 2 tablespoons and 1/2 teaspoon grated Parmesan cheese
  • Hot cooked spaghetti (make this last)
Directions:
In a Dutch oven, saute the mushrooms, carrots, celery, onion, peppers and garlic in oil until tender. Add the next 10 ingredients. Bring to a boil. Reduce heat; cover and simmer for 1 hour. Serve over spaghetti.


Notes:
The spaghetti I made was A LOT simpler, it was about 10pm mind you and I was feeling lazy LOL. So I just hand rolled some meatballs and made a small fruit salad to go with it. Enjoy your food!
image_1

No comments:

Post a Comment